We had a great opportunity to work with the folks from GA Communications on a project for BioMarin this past fall photographing a series of patients. We spent three days on location around the Bay Area making images that had to have a strong sense of flared backlight. While we couldn’t shoot all of the images late in the day, we made use of both ideally placed sunlight and a strobe set far off in the distance. For the swing shot I made a swing from an old piece of redwood and some nice looking hemp rope. Using high rollers for a large silk above, we slid medium rollers underneath with a speed rail tube across so that we could place the swing wherever we wanted. I knew we weren’t going to find a perfectly placed low hung tree branch : >
Yes, I got into the pool. I had to. With the tether cord held by an assistant and connected to a computer on dry land, I shot with a long lens handheld. Most of the project was photographed using Canon’s new 5dsr 50 megapixel camera and a ProPhoto B1 in the trees. And, lots of large silks.
This week we completed the framing of the latest Facing Chemo exhibit – Before & After. The show hung this past Wednesday at a corporate event at Genentech. We are looking forward to seeing the show hang again soon.
More diptychs from our Facing Chemo reunion. I think this might be a separate exhibit soon.
The Dailey Method exercise studios around the country are now featuring advertising images we shot for them this past fall. Jill Dailey, in green, started the regimen in 2000 and they now have 40+ studios in 3 countries. Check out their home page featuring videos we shot for them including one that went viral amongst their clients.
Biomedical annual report images for san francisco based company, BioRad.
The goal was to concentrate on the details involved with this biomedical company’s products, in this case these gram stain gels. They wanted the gel in the image, but needed a human presence for the cover. After shooting this scientist pulled back for an inside image featuring the machine the gels develop in (second image), I began to play with this magnifying glass (stole it from the kids that morning). And, we ended up getting the cover from it.
Some sample images from the healthcare annual reports
I photographed in March
We just finished shooting the 2009 BioMarin annual report last month – this is the same company for which I shot the patient in my earlier post.
The lab images were shot using real employees – we’re in the process of editing video that I shot of these scenes as well.